It’s raining outside, and I have just been back from home, Bengal, the best place on earth for a foodie. You can probably guess how I feel right now!
When I say that I nearly stuffed myself to death with food, believe me, I am not exaggerating. What with trying to make my numerous grandmas and aunts and my mum happy, I hogged like a pig, because “aha, okhane toh bangali ranna pabi na!”.
And despite being a hardcore non-vegetarian, each time home, I eat more Bengali vegetarian dishes than non-veg, courtesy the old-timey ladies in my life. And since I’m feeling generous, let me share some of those vegetarian gems that come from the mine that is a Bengali ‘ranna-ghor’.
1. Shukto, because we start our food with the beautiful bitter
2. Naksha bori (designed and sundried lentils fried) bhaja
4. And some chhoto aloor dum
They may be baby potatoes, but the dish is super rich in taste. It’s not hard to make, so go try cooking it.
5. Mishti polao, that beats all kinds of rice preparations any day
6. With dhokar dalna (curry made of fried chana daal patties) maybe
7. Or do you prefer chhanar dalna (cottage cheese curry)
8. Let us not forget the beauty that is potoler dolma
9. Bhaja moog daaler khichuri
10. Accompanied by some labra
12. And chapor ghonto
13. Or mochar ghonto (banana blossom curry)
14. Sojne dantar chorchori
15. Mohanbhog (sweet sooji)
Are you having second thoughts about turning a veg? I know the feeling, bruh!